St. Gertrude Parish is blessed to have Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration available at the Mother of Mercy Adoration Chapel. The Chapel is located in St. Gertrude’s Parish Center. Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration is a Eucharistic devotion in which the members of a community unite in taking hours of adoration before the Most Blessed Sacrament, continuously during the day and night, seven days a week. We invite all to join us in adoration of our Blessed Lord present in the Eucharist.
From The Pastor
February 12, 2017
by Fr. George W. Rutler
Pastor of St. Michael Church, New York City
Europe and its contiguous lands were in a chaotic condition in 1240: the Mongols were destroying Kiev, the Novgorod army virtually wiped out the Swedes along the Neva River, and the Holy Roman Emperor, Frederick II, was pillaging the Papal States using Islamic Saracens as his mercenaries. Pope Gregory IX’s attempt to rally a Crusade against the invaders failed, and his good friend Saint Clare was virtually bedridden as the Saracens besieged her convent at San Damiano. Her beloved Francis of Assisi had died fourteen years before. In this emergency, she left her invalid couch, went to the window and exposed the Blessed Sacrament in a silver and ivory ciborium, and the alien troops fled.
In northern Mexico until just a few years ago, drug- and gang-related violence had made Ciudad Juarez one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Following the example of Saint Clare, missionaries turned to the Eucharistic Lord for help. A perpetual adoration chapel was opened in 2013 when the murder rate was forty people a day, with soldiers and policemen joining the gangs. Increasing numbers of devotees urged the soldiers to join them in Holy Hours. Few now dismiss as only coincidence the fact that within five years the annual murder rate dropped from 3,766 to 256.