Flexible Family Faith Formation (See below for FAQs)
Families are busier than ever. Between ever-changing work, family, school, and sport commitments, the expectation of coming to Religious Education every week can seem like too much sometimes. In response to this, the Office of Youth Evangelization has been researching a new model of Faith Formation to better serve our Religious Education families: Flexible Family Faith Formation. In place of the weekly Tuesday evening classes, Flexible Family Faith Formation would occur 1x/month for the entire family. During these classes, the entire family will come together for a shared meal with breakout sessions for the parents and youth following.
The advantages of this program are:
- Meet 1x/month as a community, with follow-up lessons in the comfort of your own home and at times which work for your family
- Greater involvement in walking with your child as you both learn more about the faith
- More time spent together as a family
- Opportunity to connect with other families and grow in community
So often in today’s world, the family is divided and split amidst the business of life. Flexible Family Faith Formation is a great alternative to weekly Religious Education classes, providing families with a time to slow-down and come together in community.
Parents are the primary educators of the faith, but that can seem overwhelming, and it’s hard to know where or how to even start. With Flexible Family Faith Formation we provide the tools and topics to help you!
For more information on our Religious Education Programs, please visit: https://re.stgertrude.org/program-information
1. Are Sunday morning Religious Education classes still being offered?
Yes, Sunday morning Religious Ed. classes will be offered as follows:
9:15am-10:30am : Ages 3/4/5yo – 8th grade
11:00am-12:15pm : Ages 3/4/5 – 2nd grade
2. What happens during Flexible Family Faith Formation nights?
Each night, we will begin by sharing a meal together and participating in a family activity. After the meal, kids will split off into breakout sessions by age and the parents will have their own breakout session. In the Parent breakout session, we will have the chance to pray together and go over that month’s content and lessons.
3. Does Flexible Family Faith Formation replace Tuesday evening Religious Ed?
Yes, our new Tuesday evening Religious Ed. programming will be Flexible Family Faith Formation (for grades 3 thru 7). 1st and 2nd grade sacramental prep years will still continue to meet 3x/month from 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm.
4. What happens if I miss a Flexible Family Faith Formation Night?
Life is busy and there may be a month where neither parent is able to attend the Flexible Family Faith Formation night. When this is the case, we will arrange a make-up meeting with one or both parents to cover what was missed during the Flexible Family Faith Formation night.
5. Do both parents have to come to Flexible Family Faith Formation nights?
It is preferred that both parents (in fact, the entire family!) are present for Flexible Family Faith Formation.
6. What if I have a child who is in 1st or/and 2nd grade on Tuesday evenings? Are their classes affected? Are they invited to Flexible Family Faith Formation nights?
If you have a child who is in 1st or/and 2nd grade on Tuesday evening, their class is only slightly affected. Sacramental prep years will meet 3x/month, on weeks when we do not have Flexible Family Faith Formation nights, from 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm (slightly longer to make up for the lost week). However, they are invited to come join the rest of the family for Flexible Family Faith Formation nights as well.
7. Are my older children allowed to come to Flexible Family Faith Formation nights?
Yes! The entire family is invited to come and participate in our Flexible Family Faith Formation nights.
8. Is Flexible Family Faith Formation required for families?
Flexible Family Faith Formation is one option to fulfill your 3rd-7th grader’s religious formation requirements. Families also have the option of Sunday morning Religious Ed classes. However, any and all families are welcome to join us for Flexible Family Faith Formation nights!
9. What if I don’t feel equipped to teach the Faith at home?
No worries! Part of our Flexible Family Faith Formation nights are spent going over materials and lessons to be covered at home the following month. Our resources are well-done, easy-to-follow guides to assist in teaching and living the faith at home.
10. What if my kids attend Catholic School or are Homeschooled? Are we still able to join?
Yes! All families are welcome to join us for Flexible Family Faith Formation!
11. Is the curriculum the same every year?
No. The curriculum cycles through the 4 pillars of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Therefore, every year is different for 4 years, then begins to repeat. There are different
activities/reflections for varying age levels so families can attend for many years!
OFFICE OF YOUTH EVANGELIZATION: RELIGIOUS FORMATION OPTIONS
3/4/5 year olds**: Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
Sunday 9:15 am -10:30 am
Sunday 11:00 am – 12:15 pm
Thursday 11:20 am 12:20 pm
1st and 2nd grade**: Catechesis of the Good Shepherd/Sacramental Preparation
Sunday 9:15 am -10:30 am
Sunday 11:00 am – 12:15 pm
Tuesday 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm (3 weeks/month)
A. Classroom Religious Education
Sunday 9:15 am – 10:30 am
(no Tuesday typical class)
B. Flexible Family Faith Formation (New this year!)
Tuesdays 5:00 pm-6:45 pm (1 week/month) and at home formation (time TBD by family) & DINNER is provided **
Sunday 9:15 am-10:30 am
** Families with children ages 3 years – 2nd grade and 8th graders can also participate in Flexible Family Faith Formation**